Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I've Got Mussels!

I really am a tree hugger! Don't forget Earth Day on Sunday!


No, I'm not really getting all buff and muscle-y. I'm playing with mussels! The scary thing is that I don't have nearly as much free time anymore. On monday, Laura and I learned how to record mussel heart rate (for her project). We hook them up to a little machine and let it roll - a lot harder than that sounds. Then, we played beauty shop in the afternoon and painted the different species pink and hot orange! Unfortunately, salt water is almost as corrosive at nail polish remover and the paint started coming off. After we worked that kink out, we set up our aggregation experiment, where saw whether or not the native and invasive species self-segregate. Well, they don't; they're not prejudice but peace-loving and friendly. Oh well!


I spent most of today sorting my mussels by size so that I don't make the little snails biased against any one prey species. My fingers got so cold in the 11 degree Celsius water that they turned blue. I'm a wimp and wore a long-sleeve shirt, t-shirt, fleece, and a sweat-shirt. There is no escaping the wind, though! That was all fun and dandy, but tonight's pick-me-up was much more appealing. We made pizookie!!! Had it with breyer's vanilla, mmm. We EVEN shared with the two guys next door (of course, one of them was Liz's (one of my roommate's) boyfriend, but that's besides the point)! Now, I'm content, but sleepy. I should read stats, but I think I will go to bed instead...that happens a lot here.


This weekend is promising to be busy, as I am going up to campus Friday afternoon and coming back Saturday night. I need to track down my advisors and get the next two years figured out... eeek!

-gnight!

No comments: